All students in F-1 nonimmigrant status and their F-2 dependents (physically present in the U.S. during 2011) MUST file the IRS Form 8843 regardless of whether or not they earned income in the U.S.
If you received a W-2 from your employer, you have earned income and you may also need to fill out a 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
NOTE: If you earned less than $3,700* in the calendar year, you will not need to file either 1040 form. You are only required to submit the IRS Form 8843.
*amount subject to change
General Instructions for IRS Form 8843
- Fill in your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
- For the box requesting your U.S. taxpayer identification number, write in your Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. If you do not have either one of these, leave it blank.
- Part I:
- #1a: Enter the type of visa (F-1) that you used to enter the U.S. and date you entered (see I-94 card - small white card in passport)
- #1b: Your current nonimmigrant status should be the same as #1a unless you changed status while in the U.S. If you requested a change of status (e.g. you entered the U.S. in H-1B status and without leaving changed to F-1) in the U.S. enter your current non-immigrant status (F or J) and the date that your change of status was approved (see I-797 Approval Notice form). Otherwise, all you need to do is enter your current non-immigrant status as you stated in #1a; no date is required.
- #4a: Count the number of days you were physically present in the U.S. in each of the last 3 calendar years. Make sure to enter the actual number of days you were present (excluding days when you were outside of the U.S.).
- #4b: Enter the number of days you were present in the U.S. during the tax year. This should be the same number that you entered in the first blank on #4a.
- Part II:
- F-1 students do not need to complete Part II
- Part III:
- #9: Enter "LeTourneau University, 2100 S. Mobberly Ave., Longview, TX 75602, 903-233-3171"
F-2 Dependents, enter "Spouse/Dependent of student attending LeTourneau University, 2100 S. Mobberly Ave., Longview, TX 75602, 903-233-3171"
- #10: Enter: "Philip Coyle, 2100 S. Mobberly Ave., Longview, TX 75602, 903-233-3171"
F-2 Dependents, enter "Spouse/Dependent of student whose Program Director is Philip Coyle, 2100 S. Mobberly Ave., Longview, TX 75602, 903-233-3171"
- #11-14: Answer each question according to your individual situation
- Part IV and V:
- Does not apply to those present in the U.S. in F non-immigrant status
- Make sure to sign and date page 2
- Mail the completed form to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
- Each individual Form 8843 must be sent in a separate envelope to the above address. No other forms of any type should be included in this envelope.