LeTourneau University is named for our founder, Mr. R.G. LeTourneau. While flying over the area in 1946 to select a manufacturing site, Mrs. LeTourneau saw the sprawling complex of a vacated Army hospital consisting of over two hundred frame buildings.
When told that the facility was no longer in use, Mrs. LeTourneau asked about establishing a school to serve the many GIs returning from the war. The site was secured and LeTourneau Technical Institute was established.
Since then LeTourneau Technical Institute has become LeTourneau University, a SACSCOC accredited, nondenominational Christian university, offering four-year ABET accredited engineering and engineering technology degrees, as well as four-year and two-year undergraduate degree programs in technology, the liberal arts, business, aeronautical science, education and the sciences, plus master's degree programs in business, education, engineering and psychology.