Fri, Mar 7 2014
Over 100 LeTourneau University students will serve in outreach ministries all across the country during the March 10-14 week of Spring Break.
“Part of our Christian faith is putting feet to our faith,” said LETU Chaplain Dr. Harold Carl. “Our students will be sharing the gospel, doing construction, working on airplanes and computers for mission organizations, helping the elderly – all ways they demonstrate their faith in Christ through their actions.”
LeTourneau Student Ministries is a student-run organization that promotes service opportunities for students in spring break missions and in community and campus ministry.
This year LETU students will participate in spring break mission trips that include:
• Tri-Grace Ministries, Utah—students will engage in evangelical outreach as they share the light of Christ and reach across cultural borders in Utah.
• Beach Reach on South Padre Island, Texas—students will provide a Christian witness to fellow college students with Beach Reach, as they serve free pancake breakfasts, provide safe rides for those who party all night, and share the Gospel with other students their age during spring break on South Padre Island.
• MMS Aviation, Ohio—LETU aviation students will be directly involved in assisting with maintenance, modification, and repair of missionary aircraft.
• JAARS, North Carolina —LETU aviation students will use their aviation skills to serve JAARS, a mission’s aviation center, by helping with the repair and maintenance of missionary aircraft.
• Colonia Outreach (Construction), Texas —students will serve with Buckner Ministries on construction and painting projects for residents in extreme poverty on the Texas border. Buckner has helped rural settlers move from spontaneously set up structures made from cardboard or canvas, to code approved, safe dwellings.
• Colonia Outreach (Children's Ministry), Texas —students will partner with Buckner International to conduct a ministry outreach to children in the “colonias” by sharing the Gospel through story times, crafts and games.
• LightSys Technology Services, Colorado Springs—students will use their computer and technology skills to work with this ministry by providing technical information technology support.
• Mexico City, Mexico—This team of eight students plus faculty will fly into Mexico to work with the one Mission Society at a drop-in center for kids who are living on the streets in Mexico.
• HCJB, Elkhart, Indiana—The HCJB Technology Center provides missionary organizations with technical support, low cost radio broadcasting equipment, and other forms of custom engineered products exclusively for use by Christian missionaries to spread the gospel around the world. The full-time missionary engineers at HCJB have set aside a variety of necessary technical projects which our LETU team will assist them with. This is a hands-on mission trip especially for students interested in Computer Science or Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
• OM Ships (Operation Mobilization, Florence, S.C.—Serve Operation Mobilization (OM) by helping them to handle and package literature for their international Christian library ship—Logos Hope. Additional opportunities to evangelize and minister will also be readily available on this trip.
About LeTourneau University
LeTourneau University is a Christ-centered, interdenominational institute of higher learning offering more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree programs across a range of academic disciplines and delivery models. Students are enrolled in programs on ground at LETU’s residential campus in Longview, Texas, as well as hybrid and fully online options at educational centers in Dallas and Houston.
Academic majors include aviation, business, communication, computer science, criminal justice, education, engineering, health care administration, health science-nursing, human services, kinesiology, the liberal arts, psychology, the sciences and theology.
Claiming every workplace in every nation as their mission field, LeTourneau University graduates are professionals of ingenuity and Christlike character who see life’s work as a holy calling with eternal impact. For additional information, visit www.letu.edu.