Phone: (903) 233-3500 or (866) TEC-LETU
Web: www.letu.edu/IT (chat and self-help)
Quick Introduction, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWmhnnANYCg
Hours of Operation: https://wiki.letu.edu/display/itkb.How%20to%20contact%20IT
Online Students, some additional detail can be found here.
- Computer: While computer labs are available on campus, you will probably want your own computer.
- Features: Here's a list of recommended features. LETU's Recommended Computer Features.
- Hardware: We've partnered with several manufacturers to provide discounts to all incoming students on laptops, desktop computers and accessories: LETU Discounts
- Software: We also offer discounts on major commercial software from companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, and others: LETU Discounts
- Office 365: Every student has access to the full Office Suite software at http://o365.letu.edu. Additionally, items like OneDrive, Planner and other tools are available at no charge.
- Mobile Devices: While many mobile devices are useful for reading and taking notes, we recommend you have a full computer or a device that runs one of the Office Suites (Microsoft, Apple or Open Office versions).
- Printer: There are printers available in the computer labs. However, some students find it convenient to have a personal printer in their rooms. Most wireless printers do not work on the secured Wifi available at LETU. Print and release can be done through http://printing.letu.edu.
- Ethernet Cable (7' - 15'): This is used in a residence hall room to provide wired internet service to a personal computer or laptop. While wireless connections are available in all residence halls and academic buildings on campus, we recommend that students bring an Ethernet cable for emergency or troubleshooting purposes.
- Antivirus Software: LETU requires each computer on LeTNet maintain current antivirus software: LetNet S@FE Antivirus Requirements
- Digital Television with ClearQAM Tuner
(We encourage you to check your TV's manual or ask your store salesman to ensure the TV you select has a ClearQAM tuner. It is vital that the phone have a ClearQAM tuner to work on LETU's digital cable system. ATSC/NTSC tuners which are also included in most TVs are for over-the-air channels and will not work without a ClearQAM tuner. Most all current flat screen TVs have ClearQAM tuners - but some very inexpensive models (like some sold at discounts around Thanksgiving) have eliminated a number of important features to save money and ClearQAM support is one that is sometimes removed from "discount" TVs.) If you are looking for a discount TV - the best "discount" TVs are usually models from Vizio who rarely removes critical features from their lowest models (though you should still check to be sure).
- While we strive for compatibility with as many TVs as possible, due to inconsistent HDTV standards some TVs will not work. We strongly recommend use of a major brand like Samsung, LG, or Vizio - however please review the Recommended TV models.
- A quality coaxial cable to connect to cable TV jack in each room. To ensure consistent connections and video signal we recommend cables with screw-on ends.
- A coaxial splitter if you and your roommate each plan to bring a separate TV.
- More information about our TV line-up is available on our TV Services page!
- Internet and Mobile Devices
- Internet devices are popular and encouraged
- Game consoles work best through a wired connection.
- There are some devices that don't provide support for wired connections but also do not provide support for our WPA2-Enterprise wireless with PEAP authentication security. Currently, these devices aren't supported on our network (the device must support either a wired connection or Authenticated Wireless with PEAP/WPA2-Enterprise support).
- While we continue to strive to provide great bandwidth for LETU, keep in mind that we all share this resource and that bandwidth priority is given to academic purposes.
Don't Bring These!
- Wireless access points or network routers. These items are not allowed to be plugged into LetNet. We provide wireless access points for you all over campus! You may bring a standard ethernet switch if it does not have wireless capabilities,
- Analog Phones (including cordless phones that plug into the wall): As student preferences have shifted to personal cell phones, older analog phone service is not available in LETU residence hall rooms.
- Due to inconsistent HDTV standards, please review the TV brands or models listed on our TV Recommendations page to ensure that your TV is not incompatible. In general - anything with ClearQAM tuner support should work. However, we especially recommend caution with "bargain" TV brands often sold around Thanksgiving (including models from companies such as Emerson, Westinghouse, RCA, and similar discount brands). While once reputable - these brands are now usually "rebadges" of often-changing generic TV models and can vary widely in quality from one model to another. Even these brands however should should still work fine if they have a ClearQAM tuner.
- Wireless printers. They are incompatible with our secured network. USB Printers will work well with your computer! If a printer has wireless and USB support, the USB connection should work fine.
How to Connect your Computer to LetNet and the Internet
When you set up your computer in your room, you will need to connect it to either the wired or wireless network. The first step will be physically connecting your Ethernet cable to the wall or correctly configuring your wireless card:
- Wired: One wired network port is available in each room. If more than one wired network port is needed, an Ethernet switch will need to be purchased. If only one port is needed, connect the Ethernet cable to your computer’s network port and the other end to the data port in your room. If more than one is needed, connect the switches network port to the data port in your room. The port in your room should be blue as shown here: Wired offers each campus resident a dedicated 100Mbps connection to LetNet. To connect to the wired network, insert your Ethernet cable to your computer's network port and connect the other end to one of the two data ports in your room. The port in your room should be blue as shown here:
- Wireless: LETU's wireless network is a secured network. This means you will use your LetNet username and password to connect. The settings required for wireless networks are listed below:
- SSID: letnet (must be all lowercase)
Network Authentication: WPA or WPA2 (Enterprise)
Data Encryption: TKIP or AES
Authentication Type: PEAP
- How to Connect to LetNet's Wireless
How to Connect your Television
Television services are provided via a single coax cable jack. CLearQAM tuner support is required in your television to use LETU TV services. To connect your television, connect your coax cable from your TV's coax jack to the LETU coax jack in your room.
- If you and your roommate wish to each set up a TV, you will need a coax splitter.
- LETU provides a package of more than 100 all-digital television channels including a number of HDTV channels. No premium or pay-per-view channels are available. click here to visit the Video/TV Services website.
We provide a number of additional technology services to students. Many of these are detailed in the "Services" section of the Information Technology website. The most frequently used are listed below:
- MyLETU Portal : This is the main place to find information specific to you. Grades, class registrations, and access to other services are available
- MyLETU Courses: Online resources for each class
- Email: Each student is provided an @letu.edu email account
- Antispam: A key component of LETU's email services is Antispam. This service provides advanced detection and quarantining of spam email for all users at LETU
- MyFiles Storage: All students have access to LETU network-based file storage. This allows the storage and retrieval of homework, projects, and other documents from residence hall rooms, classrooms, or anywhere in the world.
- One Drive: Available through http://o365.letu.edu storage is available as a connection from multiple devices for storage and sharing among others.