The Yellow Ribbon Program
As a veteran, you have educational benefits available to you. Numerous colleges and universities are approved to accept Veterans Administrations (VA) benefits, and offer programs tailored specifically to your needs. You will find admission counselors available to assist with tuition benefits and help complete the proper paperwork.
Here are the steps to take:
- Determine your eligibility. You can speak directly with VA education representative, using a toll free number 888-442-4551 (888.GI Bill 1), who can answer questions, advise you on eligibility for the different chapters, and provide instructions on the application process. You can also review information on the GI Bill website: http://gibill.va.gov.
- Complete the necessary forms. You can get printed applications from regional VA offices and most active duty military stations. The Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) is the main document needed by the VA. Depending on your eligibility and the VA criteria for various programs, additional forms may be needed. You can visit the VA web address to either print off application forms or apply online using VONAPP.
- File your application with the VA. If you do not choose to apply online using VONAPP, mail the VA forms to: VA Regional Office, P. O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888. Applying online will shorten the time to set up a VA student record.
- Complete LeTourneau University’s admissions process and pay tuition. Enroll for a course and provide payment or proof of FAFSA submission. Inform your admissions contact that you applied for VA and ask him or her to certify your enrollment for the VA.
- VA completes the application process. Once the VA receives your application you will receive a written response regarding your approval about 4-6 weeks from the date your application was submitted. If your application is approved you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility confirming your benefit approval that you will need to send to the school.