Professor of English
Office Phone: 903-233-3388
Office: HHH 112
Jim Watson has served in the English department at LeTourneau University since 1992. His areas of special teaching interest include English literature and Fine Arts.
Since my late teens, I have felt that God was "calling" me into His service. That service continues to take on an increasing variety of tasks, circumstances, and locations. So far, the "calling" has taken me to 6 years of pastoral ministry (Berean Bible Church, Greenville, Texas); 11 years of teaching and administration (Providence College and Seminary, Otterburne, Manitoba, Canada); and now more than a decade of teaching at LeTourneau. I can't say that it's all been planned--at least not by me--but God has been pleased to use my life along the way.
A native Texan, Jim and his wife Sarah returned to Texas after teaching and working in Manitoba, Canada. Sarah teaches English at East Texas Baptist University. Jim and Sarah have four grown children who live and work in Texas.
- Ed.D., East Texas State University (1981). Major--The College Teaching of English. Dissertation: A Reader's Guide to C.S. Lewis: His Fiction.
- Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary (1977). Major--Bible. Thesis: Psychological Variables in the Teaching of Christ.
- B.A., University of Texas at Arlington (1972). Major--History; Minor--Literature.
- A.A., Alvin Community College (1965).
- "Aestheticism and Its Influence on Today's Critical Atmosphere: A Multi-media Presentation." Windhover/New Texas Writer's Conference. January, 2000.
- Original Poetry. Creative Writing Session. Interdisciplinary Conference: English Graduates for Academic Development, East Texas State University. July, 1995.
- Readings in the Major Writers of England. The Institute of Professional Development, LeTourneau University, 2000.
- Literature for Leaders. The Institute of Professional Development, LeTourneau University, 1997.
- Critical Thinking, Argument, and Research Writing in Business. The Institute of Professional Development, LeTourneau University, 1997.
Awards and Grants
- Sigma Tau Delta (National English Honor Society), 1981.
- KTPB (Public Radio) Fine Arts Festival Board
- South Central Conference on Christianity and Literature