Professor of Biology
Phone: (903) 233-3354
Office: Glaske O-174
View Curriculum Vitae
Ph.D., Kansas University Medical Center
B.A., Microbiology, Kansas University Medical Center
B.A., Biology, University of Kansas
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Invertebrate Zoology
- Freshman Seminar
||Professor & Chair of the Department of Biology
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
||East Asia Strategy Coordinator
||Owner and C.E.O.
Open Door Information Resource Company
||Director and Chief Representative
Global Parthers (U.K.) Ltd., N.E. China Office
||Director and Chief Representative
BioChem Ventures Ltd. (Singapore), N.E. China Office
||Instructor, Department of Pathology
U.T. Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Ciba-Geigy (now Novartis Intl. AG) Biotechnology Division
||Graduate Teaching Instructor – Medical Microbiology
Kansas University Medical Center
||Graduate Teaching Instructor – Virology and Microbiology
University of Kansas
University of Kansas
||Quality Assurance - Virology Section Head
Abbott Laboratories (currently Sanofi Aventis Group), Vaccine Production Section
Grants, Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Recipient of the UMHB Faculty Summer Development Grant; $10,000
- Recipient of the UMHB Summer Development Leave Award; $10,000 - Research on Human Parthenogenesis with faculty at Scott and White Hospital, Texas A&M University Health Science Center and the Temple Veterans’ Administration Hospital.
- Recipient of a UMHB Faculty Development Award; $15,675 - BATTLING FIRE WITH FIRE: Using microorganisms to extinguish the burn. (Bio-control of fire ants)
- Honored by the Liaoning China Provincial Governor as the "Province’s Most Valued Foreign Expert." Selected from the Province’s 10,000+ foreign experts for excellence in education, community health training, and community development.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Society for Microbiology – National
- American Society for Microbiology – Texas Branch
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Beta Beta Beta National Honor Society
- European Federation of Biotechnology
- International Society for Computational Biology
- Sigma Xi – The Scientific Research Society
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology
- Texas Academy of Science
- Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education. Submitted. A Review of American Anthrax: Fear, Crime, and the Investigation of the Nation's Deadliest Bioterror Attack.
- International Journal of University Teaching and Faculty Development. 2012 Oct; 3(1): 69 - 81. Exploring the Relationship between Academic Entitlement and Epistemological Beliefs. Frederick , K., Barnard-Brak, L. and Frederick, G.
- Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education. 2012 May; 13(1): 99 - 100. From Medieval Microbiology to Modern Medicine: A Concise History of How We Got to Where We are Today. Frederick, G.
- Journal of Microbiology and Biology Education. 2011 Dec; 12(2):211 - 212. A Review of The Mirage Man: Bruce Ivins, the Anthrax Attacks, and America’s Rush to War. Frederick, G.
- Human Molecular Genetics. 1994 Oct; 3(10):1783-8. Structural and mutational analysis of the xeroderma pigmentosum group D (XPD) gene. Frederick GD, Amirkhan RH, Schultz RA, Friedberg EC.
- Genetics. 1993 Jul; 134(3):729-36. Chromosome rearrangements recovered following transformation of Neurospora crassa. Perkins DD, Kinsey JA, Asch DK, Frederick GD.
- Gene. 1993 Mar 15; 125(1):57-64. Cloning and characterisation of pepC, a gene encoding a serine protease from Aspergillus niger. Frederick GD, Rombouts P, Buxton
- Genetics. 1992 Apr; 130(4):737-48. Analysis of junction sequences resulting from integration at nonhomologous loci in Neurospora crassa. Asch DK, Frederick G, Kinsey JA, Perkins DD.
- Current Genetics. 1990 Jul; 18(1):53-8. Distant upstream regulatory sequences contro the level of expression of the am (GDH) locus of Neurospora crassa. Frederick GD, Kinsey JA.
- Molecular and General Genetics. 1990 Apr; 221(2):148-54. Nucleotide sequence and nuclear protein binding of the two regulatory sequences upstream of the am (GDH) gene in Neurospora. Frederick GD, Kinsey JA.
- Molecular and General Genetics. 1989 Jun; 217(2-3):294-300. Use of transformation to make targeted sequence alterations at the am (GDH) locus of Neurospora. Frederick GD, Asch DK, Kinsey JA.
- Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 1987 Nov; 39(11):887-91. Effect of triglyceride on small intestinalabsorption of cefoxitin in rats. Yoshitomi H, Nishihata T, Frederick G, Dillsaver M, Higuchi T.
- Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 1985 Jul; 37(7):509-11. Lymphatic transportof sodium cefoxitin in the presence of sodium 5-methoxysalicylate after injection into rat rectal connective tissue, femoral muscle and femoral vein. Nishihata T, Kim S, Kamada A, Frederick G, Dillsaver M, Higuchi T.
- Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 1985 Mar; 37(3):159-63. Comparison of theeffects of sodium salicylate, disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid and polyoxyethylene-23-lauryl ether as adjuvants for the rectal absorption of sodium cefoxitin. Nishihata T, Tomida H, Frederick G, Rytting JH, Higuchi T.
- Bacteriophage Isolation for Phage Therapy and Prevention of Dental Caries.
Presented at the American Society for Microbiology TX Branch 2014 Spring Conference. April 4, 2014. Sarah Gregory, Clinton Matkins, and Gregory Frederick.
- Isolation and Characterization of the Imported Red Fire Ant Normal Gut Microbiota.
Presented at the American Society for Microbiology TX Branch 2014 Spring Conference. April 4, 2014. Malintha C. Abeysiri and Gregory Frederick.
- Career ADHD: Finding the right career path(s) for the ‘Many-Mes’ and you!
Presented at the American Society for Microbiology TX Branch 2014 Spring Conference. April 4, 2014.
- Chalk Dust Gets In Your Eyes… PPTs Put Students to Sleep… Solution: Portable Smart boards in Every Classroom.
Presented at the 2013 Joint Meeting of the South Central and Texas Branches of the American Society for Microbiology. November 2, 2013.
- SUPERBUGS: When Microbes, the Immune System, and Medicine Collide.
Invited speaker for medical faculty and students at William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine. April 15, 2013.
- A Lab Safety and Skills Practical for Program Assessment. Presented at the 2013 National Conference of the National Science Teachers Association. Kathleen Wood, Cathleen Early, Gregory Frederick, Arch Koontz, Andrew W. Woodward, Karen Grant. April 13, 2013.
- Developing and conducting a hands-on assessment of biology lab skills and safety.
Presented at the 116th Annual Meeting of the Texas Academy of Science. Kathleen N. Early, Karen Grant, Gregory D. Frederick, Arch Koontz, Andrew W. Woodward, and Kathleen Wood. March 1, 2013.
- Clinical Mycology Workshop.
Hosted workshop for the Southwest Association of Clinical Microbiologists at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Belton, TX, December 15, 2012.
- Retrograde DNA Repair: Recollections from Two Decades Past.
Presented at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Department of Pathology DNA Repair Symposium. Dallas, TX, December 1, 2012.
- Using Web 2.0 for Student Learning.
Presented at the Center For Excellence in Learning and Teaching at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Belton, TX, November 2, 2012.
- GamEducation: Gamification in Higher Education – Does it work?
Presented at the 44th Annual Fall Meeting of the Texas Branch of the American Society for Microbiology. Baylor University. Waco, TX, October 20, 2012.
- Are Your Students Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Getting Them All on the Same Playground.
Presented at the Nineteenth Annual American Society for Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators, (ASMCUE) San Mateo, CA, June 16, 2012.
- Approaches to Biocontrol of Solenopsis invictus via Genetically Modified Organisms.
Presented by KA Cooke, JT Smith, JR Bowen, and GD Frederick at the 44th Annual Spring Meeting of the Texas Branch of the American Society for Microbiology. New Braunfels, TX, March 30, 2012.
- PCR based detection of B1/NAP-1/027 strain of Clostridium difficile: Decrease in Prevalence and Clinical Severity?
Presented at the 100th Annual Meeting of the United States and Canada Academy of Pathologists (USCAP), San Antonio, TX, February 26, 2011.
- The Bugs That Bug Us: Understanding Them Better to Bug Them Back!
Invited Guest Lecturer, Presented at Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX, September 16, 2010
- Molecular analysis of Clostridium difficile, C. Difficile 027/B1/NAP1 and Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) in tissues with Pseudomembranous colitis or CDAD
Presented at the 99th Annual Meeting of the United States and Canada Academy of Pathologists (USCAP), Washington, D.C., March 20, 2010.
- Molecular Analysis of the Clostridium Difficle and Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci (VRE) Association in Pseudomembranous Colitis
Presented at the 113th Annual Meeting of Texas Academy of Science, Stephenville, TX, March 4-6, 2010.