Assistant Professor of Theology
Phone: (903) 233-3375
Wilson is one the newest members to join (Fall 2011) the Biblical Studies and Christian Ministries faculty of LeTourneau University. He grew up in São Paulo, Brasil, where he served as a minister of the Presbyterian Church of Brasil (IPB). He then pursued a Th.M. in Old Testament studies at Calvin Theological Seminary, in Grand Rapids, MI. There, he met his wife, Katie, where they married before leaving for his Ph.D. at Leiden University, in the Netherlands. During the past 5 years, Wilson was able to serve as an associate pastor at an international Anglican community where he learned much about the widespread arms of the body of Christ. Some hobbies he enjoys are: soccer, tennis, golf, reading, watching a good movie, eating organic/local food, salsa dancing with his wife and trying not to be last in fantasy football. Wilson and Katie have a baby boy, Matthew, and are grateful to be in Texas where they have been welcomed by “y’all” with warm, loving friendships and beautiful sunshine.
- Biblical Foundations, Pentateuch, Poetical Books, Hebrew
- Ph.D. in Old Testament, Universiteit Leiden, the Netherlands (2007-2011) [Promotion: March 15, 2012]
Dissertation: LXX Isaiah as Interpretation and Translation: A Methodological Discussion.
- Th.M. in Old Testament, Calvin Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, MI (2004-2006)
Dissertation: The Interpretation of the Yiqtol Verbs in Psalm 47:4-5
- B.A. in Theology (equivalent to M.Div.), José Manoel da Conceição Presbyterian Theological Seminary, São Paulo, Brasil (1999-2002)
Monograph: Breves Considerações sobre a Aliança da Criação e a Plenitude do Espírito em Efésios 5:18-6:9
Isaiah; Psalms; Genesis 1-11; The LXX of Isaiah; Early Versions (Targum, Peshitta, and Vulgate); New Testament Quotations of the Greek Old Testament; History of Biblical Interpretation/History of Reception; History of Old Testament Scholarship; The Old Testament and Ethics; Biblical Theology.
- Cunha, Wilson de Angelo, “LXX Isaiah 25:6-8 and the Issue of Coherence,” in LXX: XIV Congress of the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies, Helsinki 2010 (ed. Melvin K. H. Peters; Atlanta: SBL, forthcoming).
- Cunha, Wilson de Angelo, “A Brief Discussion of MT Isaiah 24,14-16,” Biblica 90 (2009), 530-544.
- “On Isaiah 27:1, 2-13.” SBL San Francisco, 2011. Group: Formation of Isaiah.
- “LXX Isaiah 25:6-8 and the Issue of Coherence.” The International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies, July 29-31, 2010, Helsinki, Finland.
- “The Reception of Isaiah 24:14-16 in LXX Isaiah.” SBL New Orleans, 2009. Group: Formation of Isaiah.
- “The Reception of LXX Isaiah 25 in Eusebius of Caesarea’s Commentary on Isaiah.” Von der Septuaginta zum Neuen Testament. Textgeschichtliche Erörterungen, Wuppertal, Germany. 2009.
Membership in Academic Societies
- Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- Institute for Biblical Research (IBR)
- Evangelical Theological Society (ETS)
- The International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS)
- Ordained Presbyterian minister in the Presbyterian Church of Brasil (IPB)
“My journey of faith commenced by being raised in a thriving church where God started his redemptive work. Through a spiritually fruitful community and solid teaching blossomed a desire to know the Lord and his Word. Since then, I have loved learning, researching and especially teaching the Bible. LeTourneau is such a special place that has so many wonderful students truly passionate about serving in the Kingdom. I am so grateful to be a part of Christ’s toolbox in this place."