Assistant Professor of Worship Arts
Phone: (903) 233-3379
Mark joined the faculty of LeTourneau University in the fall of 2010. He is experiencing the temperatures of East Texas that are quite different from his home country of Canada! Mark's experience in worship arts has been challenged and stretched through formal studies and has been realized and practiced through church ministry.
With 25 years experience in worship arts ministry in local churches, Mark is excited to be part of the team at LeTourneau working with students who want to focus on worship arts. He knows that worship arts ministry is something that is developed and deepened over time; so working with students is a pilgrimage of co-journeyers. Originally from the east coast of Canada, Mark has studied and worked across Canada. Mark and his wife Jennifer are parents to three active and talented young adults.
Courses taught: Foundations for Christian Ministry; Foundations for Worship; Chapel Worship Practicum; Multimedia and Technology for Worship; Worship Planning and Resources; University Chorus; Seminar for Life and Ministry.
- D.W.S., The Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies (2009)
- M.Th., Tyndale College and Seminary (2001), Major: Worship & Liturgy
- B.A. (Honours Music), University of Waterloo (1991)
- B.R.E., Briercrest Bible College (1986), Major: Music and Church Ministries
- Pastor of Worship Arts, Beulah Alliance Church (Christian & Missionary Alliance), Edmonton, AB (2005-2010)
- Director of Worship Ministries, Grant Memorial Baptist Church (General Conference Baptist), Winnipeg, MB (1993-2005)
- Assistant Pastor, Stanley Park Baptist Church (Baptist Convention of Ontario & Quebec), Kitchener, ON (1989-1993)
- Director of Music & Christian Education, Hillside Baptist Church (Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches), Moncton, NB (1986-1989)
Related Research, Teaching, and Leading Experience
- "Ancient-Future Worship," Session Lecturer: ENGAGE Worship Conference (Winnipeg, MB)
- Six-week worship service change and modification experiment (design, strategize, execute, and evaluate) (Edmonton, AB)
- Intersession Adjunct Faculty, "Christian Worship P631." Taylor Seminary (Edmonton, AB)
- Researched, designed, wrote and presented seven-week Lenten Study (Edmonton, AB)
- Worship Leader, Missions Fest Alberta (2008-2010) (Edmonton, AB)
- "If I Could Only Read Music" course for Equipping U (Winnipeg, MB)
- Six-week "Worship" course for Equipping U (Winnipeg, MB)
- Transition to Holy Week services. Worship design and change management. (Winnipeg, MB)
Membership in Academic Societies
- Ancient-Future Faith Network
- Evangelical Theological Society
I love the local church! The work of designing, planning and leading the corporate worship expression is a privilege. Being at LeTourneau, where these skills can be taught and encouraged in those who will lead local congregations, is something where I definitely see God's hand at work.