Assistant Professor, Assistant Chief Flight Instructor, Flight
Began teaching at LETU in Summer 2000
I was born and raised in Alberta, Canada, and attended Bonnie Doon Composite High School in Edmonton. I completed a B.S. in Physical Education at the University of Calgary in 1976. I went on to graduate school, completing a M.S. in biomechanics at Penn State where I met my wife, Karen.
I have been involved with aviation since 1968. I began making a full-time living as a flight instructor and aviation teacher in 1992. My experience includes flying gliders, working as a charter pilot and working as a corporate pilot flying Navajo’s and Gulfstream II jets. After teaching aviation at Prairie Bible College for nearly ten years, I moved to Texas to teach young people in the aeronautical science program at LeTourneau University in Longview.
Education and Training
Gulfstream II Training at Flight Safety International
Instructor training at Embry Riddle University, Prescott Campus, May 2007.
US Airline Transport Pilot.
Cessna training to become a FITS instructor on the G-1000 Glass Cockpit.
Flight Training at Flight Safety in California for the operation of the Gulfstream II aircraft.
M.S. Biomechanics, Penn State University, 1981
B.S. Physical Education, University of Calgary 1976
Awards, Grants, and Certifications
- Garmin 1000 Cessna Certified Instructor January 2006
- CFI, CFII, MEI FAA Certifications in the United States, summer 2000
- Canadian Government Commendation as a Class 1 Flight Instructor in Alberta.
- Canadian Designated Flight Test Examiner (DFTE)
- Canadian Class 1 Flight Instructor
- Honors graduate from The University of Calgary
- Master’s Thesis on “Velocity Changes and Energy Expenditure In Single Stroke Cycles Of Swimmers Doing Breast Stroke” at Penn State University.
Publications and Presentations
- Written flight magazine articles for Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA) magazine in Canada.
- Weather and other aviation related issue presentations to East Texas Flight Instructor's Association Meetings.
- Presented a research project, "Biomechanics of Diving", at the Biomechanics Congress in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1976.
Professional Activities and Affiliations
- AOPA (American Owners and Pilots Association), member
- COPA (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association), member
- East Texas Flight Instructors Association, member
- LeTourneau University Institutional Developmental Committee, member, 2006-2007
- LeTourneau University Entertainment Committee, member, 2005-2006
- LeTourneau University Admissions Committee, member, 2003
- LeTourneau University Building Committee, member, 2002
Conferences and Meetings Attended
Professional Growth Activities
- Flight Instructor Recertification training yearly since 2001
- FITS Instructor Training for the Garmin 1000 cockpit January of 2006
Service (Community Involvement)
- Fellowship Bible Church in Longview, member who teaches adult Sunday school, provides music for church services and is a Bible study leader.
- Gives meteorology lectures for the East Texas Flight Instructor's Association
- Provides flight reviews and insurance flight checks for local area pilots in PA31-350s, 300s, and Cessna 185s.
- Teaches fly fishing courses in the United States and in Canada.
I have a passion for flight, and I enjoy sharing that with young people. I am particularly interested in helping young people who want to use their aviation skills to serve others in the name of Christ. I have had the privilege of teaching a number of young men and women who are now serving mission organizations in developing countries.