Professor Emeritus of Theology
(Retired Spring 2003)
Hobert Farrell, the former chair of the Biblical Studies department, has retired from LeTourneau University. However, he teaches at LeTourneau on a part-time basis.
Farrell gets excited about teaching students the New Testament and Greek. Hobert became a Christian when he was a teenager and developed a passion to teach others the Bible. Farrell, and his wife, Carol, enjoy having students in their home and encouraging them by sharing in their lives. The Farrells also like to walk, camp and travel. In June 1989, they were involved in a wagon train venture in North Dakota for a week.
- B.A., Wheaton College (1961). Major: Philosophy
- M.A., Wheaton Graduate School (1964). Major: Theology.
- B.D., Gordon Divinity School (1964). Major: Biblical Studies.
- Th.M., Union Theological Seminary (1966). Major: Biblical Studies.
- Ph.D., Boston University Graduate School (1972). Major: New Testament.
Papers presented at meetings of:
- The Evangelical Theological Society
- The Society of Biblical Literature
- “The Structure and Theology of Luke's Central Section”, Trinity Journal 7.2 (1986).
- Articles on “Fullness”, “Fullness of the Time”, “Kerygma”, “Leaven”, and “Preach”, Baker's Dictionary of Biblical Theology (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1996).
- Several articles in Baker's Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1988).
Awards and Grants
- Nominated for Piper Professor (1990-91).
- Who's Who in Religion
- Who's Who in Biblical Studies and Archaeology
- Men of Achievement
- Dictionary of International Biography
- Who's Who in American Education
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Chair of Teaching Faculty Organization, 1989-1990
- Preaching in area churches on occasions.
“My life was changed by Christ and His Word. I feel privileged to share that life-changing experience with students. It is my joy to explain the New Testament and to see students respond and grow in their faith in Christ. LeTourneau University is an outstanding community of faith. I have immensely enjoyed my 23 years here, interacting with believers from diverse backgrounds.”