Phone: (903) 233-3117
Dr. Carl grew up in Northeastern Ohio in several United Methodist parsonages with one younger brother and one younger sister. He calls Canton, Ohio his home town. Dr. Carl’s father, grandfather and younger brother have all been pastors.
Dr. Carl’s wife Gwen grew up in Newport News, Virginia. Her mother was the organist at Hampton Roads Friends Church and her father was an engineer for Newport News Shipbuilding his entire career. She lived in the same house all of her childhood. Gwen serves as a Librarian in the LeTourneau University library.
The Carls both attended Malone College. Dr. Carl majored in music education (trumpet). Gwen majored in chemistry and Christian ministries. Dr. Carl played in several musical groups in college and regular gigs playing for tips in several local restaurants.
The Carls have been married 34 years as of June 7, 2014. They have a son Joshua who loves sports, caving and SCUBA diving. Joshua was homeschooled by Gwen. Joshua is an LETU alum. He majored in Computer Science at LeTourneau and was a student worker in the IT department. While at LeTourneau, Joshua interned two summers at Garmin. Upon graduation in December of 2013, Joshua married Anna Crawford, also a LeTourneau alum and, they now live in Olathe, Kansas, where Joshua works full time for Garmin.
All three of the Carls are certified SCUBA divers. They have been diving in Jamaica, Bahamas, the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys and Hawaii.
Dr. Carl loves caving, SCUBA, playing and singing for worship, playing jazz and blues guitar, playing jazz trumpet, and working on electronic projects. Dr. Carl has a General Class Ham Radio License and Joshua has a Technician Class Ham Radio License. Dr. Carl is a member of SATERN (Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network) and is a National Weather Service Skywarn Trained Observer. He has also recently become a certified Red Cross disaster relief volunteer. Gwen loves SCUBA, cross-stitch, reading, logic puzzles and entertaining people in the Carl’s home. The Carls have students over for meals often.
In July of 2014 Dr. Carl began his 13th year as University Chaplain at LeTourneau University in Longview, Texas. He has taught internationally in Korea, China and Hong Kong. He has been a full time pastor, a seminary professor and a university chaplain at two different institutions. At LETU, he teaches primarily in the Theology Department, but has also taught for the Honors Department, Freshman Orientation and other graduate programs. He still plays his trumpet every chance he gets. He has traveled every year with a spring break mission team and 6 years in a row he has been the faculty sponsor of a team of students doing prison ministry with Bill Glass Weekend of Champions in the DFW metroplex. Drop by Dr. Carl’s office and you might hear Morse code, SKYWARN communications, Phil Keaggy, Doc Severinsen, B. B. King or Monty Python. He loves to talk theology, music, ham radio and SCUBA.
- Biblical Literature
- New Testament Principles
- Christian Ethics
- Christian Apologetics
- Theology of Cults
- Hot Topics in Ethics
- Integrative Theology for Counseling
- Ph.D. Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia, PA) 1992. Doctor of Philosophy.
Dissertation topic: Found in Human Form: The Maintenance and Defense of Orthodox Christology by Nineteenth Century American Reformed Theologians
- M.Div. Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (South Hamilton, MA), 1987.
- B.S. Malone College (Canton, OH), 1981. Major: Music Education.
- "Inner Light” and “Inner Light Foundation,” "Realization," "Urantia Brotherhood," "Urantia Foundation," “Self Realization,” "First Church of God - Realization," “Self-Realization Fellowship," "Growing in Grace," "Dr. Jose Luis De Jesus Miranda." Entries contracted for inclusion in the Baker Dictionary of Cults, for publication in 2014.
- "Unlimited Atonement and Wesley's Impulse for World Missions and Evangelism" (Wesley Study Group) Peer-reviewed paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (November 2011)
- "The Impossible Gospel: The Doctrine of Salvation According to the Text and Canon of Mormonism" Africanus Journal of Gordon-Conwell Tehological Seminary (April 2010)
- "Against Praxeas: How far did Tertullian Advance the Doctrine of the Trinity?" Global Journal of Classical Theology (April 2009)
- "The Impossible Gospel: The Doctrine of Salvation According to the Text and Canon of Mormonism" Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (November 2008)
- "Against Praxeas: How far did Tertullian take the Doctrine of the Trinity?" Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society (November 2005)
- "Only the Father Knows: Historical and Evangelical Responses to Jesus' Eschatological Ignorance in Mark 13:32," Journal of Biblical Studies Online. (June 2001)
- "Mark 13:32: Only the Father Knows: Historical and Evangelical Responses to Jesus' Eschatological Ignorance," Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, (November 2000)
- "The Trinitarian Implications of the Relational Language in John 14-16." Global Journal of Classical Theology. (December 1999)
- "Connecting Head, Heart and Hands: Planning and Implementing a Freshman Service Day," Seminar presented at the 18th Annual National Conference on the First-Year Experience, (February 1999)
- "User Friendly Faith," (Full text reprint). SirS Renaissance Database. (March 1998)
- "User Friendly Faith: What liberals believed-and why fundamentalists made such a fuss," Christian History Issue 55, Volume 16, No. 3. (August 1997)
- "Integrative Theology (Vol. 3) Lewis and Demarest," Book Review: JETS Volume 40, No. 2, (June 1997)
- "Jesus's Relational Language in John 14-16: Implications for the Doctrine of the Trinity," Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society. (November 1996)
- Recorded Minister, Evangelical Friends Church - Eastern Region, 1983 – Present
- Certified Teacher, Ohio, K-12 (Music), 1981 – 1985
- Certified Teacher, Rhode Island, K-12 (Music), 1983 – 1987
- Member, Evangelical Theological Society, 1994 – Present
- Member, Society of Biblical Literature, 1998 – 2002, 2005 - 2010
- Member, National Creative Society, 2001 – Present
- Member, University Faculty for Life, 2001 – 2011
- Member, Association of Christians in Student Development, 2002 – 2009
- Co-Program Chair – Other Voices in Biblical Interpretation study group of the Evangelical Theological Society, San Francisco, CA – November 2011
- Business Meeting Moderator – Other Voices in Biblical Interpretation study group of the Evangelical Theological Society, Milwaukee, Wisconsin – November 2012
- Named to the Steering Committee of the Other Voices in Biblical Interpretation study group of the Evangelical Theological Society (2014)
- Nominated to the CCCU Campus Ministers Commission (2014)
- Worship Leader & Worship team member – Fellowship Bible Church
- Education and Enrichment Teacher - Fellowship Bible Church
- Operation Christmas Child
- Longview Blitz Service Day
- Freshman Service Day
- Longview Interfaith Hospitality Network (coalition of churches providing for the homeless)
- Katrina and Rita Hurricane Relief through Red Cross and local church
- Member – SATERN – Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (ham radio)
- NOAA / National Weather Service Skywarn Trained Observer (Basic and Advanced 2014)
- Member and educational presenter – Longview East Texas Amateur Radio Club
- Bill Glass Champions For Life – Prison Ministry trip with students (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- American Red Cross - Certified Disaster Volunteer (Summer 2014)
The Global Church
- Taught courses on The Book of Acts and Friends Theology during intensive term at Auju Christian Seminary in Spring, 1994.
- Spring Break missions trip to Huatula, Mexico, Spring 2002
- Spring Break missions trip to Guadalajara, Mexico, Spring 2003
- Annual LeTourneau Student Ministries planning trips to Mexico
- Taught Christology at United Wesleyan Graduate Institute in Hong Kong, Summer, 2004
- Trained leaders in remote Mainland China, Summer 2004
- Spring Break missions trips to Ephraim, Utah to witness to Mormon College Students (2004 – 2012)
- Summer Mission Trip to Mexico City with OMS – Summer 2013
- Spring Break mission trip to Mexico City with OMS and LETU students (Spring 2014)